Where can i rent a car
How to Rent a Car Without a Credit Card
wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards. Learn more.
Do you need to rent a car without a credit card? It’s possible to do so these days, although it’s still a lot easier to use one. Many rental car companies will let you use a debit card to rent a car, for example. The process to rent a car without a credit card is often longer than using one, and you will have to prove your identity.
Method One of Three:
Using a Debit Card to Rent a Car Edit
Method Two of Three:
Renting a Car with Cash Edit
Method Three of Three:
Renting a Car With Someone Else’s Card Edit
- Some companies will allow you to pay cash (but they are likely to be independent operators or companies that rent very low-end cars). Some regular companies allow someone else to pay for the car with a credit card and you to drive it. Not all do, so check around.
- It will depend on where you are renting the car, as each place will have a different policy. In most cases, however, you will not be able to. Most companies will require that the names on the driver’s license and credit card match.
- Almost all companies will accept debit cards, as long as it associated with a major credit card. Debit cards you get from your bank will have a Visa, Mastercard, or another logo on the card. You can always call and ask.
- Some companies allow this. Most don’t. Check around. Some rental companies don’t charge additional driver fees for spouses–so your husband could rent the car using his credit card and add you on as a secondary driver.
- No suppliers will accept cash. A debit card or credit card is needed to make payment.
- The card must have your name on it, or the name of someone who will be present to be named as a driver.
- This may depend on your credit card company’s rules. Some credit card companies will authorize a purchase even if it’s over your limit by a certain amount, and others won’t. This is going to be problematic if the rental car company requires a hold on your card, for incidentals, and potential damage, which many do. However, some companies will let you pay a deposit in cash and use the card to verify your identity. So it’s possible but harder, and you will need to check around.
- This is not possible, unless the other person is present or if it was hired on a corporate credit card and you are a signatory.
Related wikiHows Edit
About This Article
If you need to rent a car without a credit card, you may be able to find agencies that accept debit cards or cash. To use a debit card, bring additional identification and information, like a plane ticket itinerary or proof of insurance. Also, make sure you have extra money in your account, as many companies will hold a deposit. To rent a car using cash, bring identification that matches the information on your driver’s license, like a utility bill. Additionally, expect to pay a deposit of around a few hundred dollars to cover possible damages to the car.