Paying your rent is even easier thanks to NYCHA’s new payment processing service. The benefits and features include:
- An easier-to-read rent statement
- A new, easy-to-use online payment site. New link!
- A telephone payment system with enhanced features. New phone number!
- No-fee payment online by e-check from your checking or savings account
- Reduced convenience fee for debit card (Visa and MasterCard logo) payments (0.85% of payment amount)
- Ability to pay with a Visa or MasterCard credit card (the convenience fee is 2.25% of payment amount)
- Enhanced security features that protect your information
- A new PO Box address for mailing rent checks. New mailing address!
- Dedicated option on the NYCHA Customer Contact Center hotline for questions about paying your rent
Rent Payment Basics:
Whether you pay your rent by phone, mail, online, or in person at a payment center, your rent is due on the first day of each month. Paying your rent on time is the most important thing you can do to support your development’s services and amenities. Residents who do not pay their rent on time are subject to legal action and possible eviction. If you have an unexpected change in your income, please see your development manager. We can help you get financial counseling or adjust your rent, if warranted. If you have any questions related to rent payments or e-Bills, please contact the Customer Contact Center at 718-707-7771.
Here Are the Multiple Ways You Can Pay Rent
Residents and Commercial Customers:
- Online payment
- Through your bank’s online payment system
- By mail
- By phone
- Via payroll deductions
- At an authorized bank or credit union
- On behalf of a resident
- With HRA benefits
For Residents and Commercial Customers
1. Online Payment:
Sign up for FREE E-Bill and E-Payment options. Receive your rent bill electronically and pay via an E-Check. Receiving E-Bills and paying your rent online is quick, convenient, and secure and can be done 24/7 through your computer or mobile device. Clicking the below links will open a new tab/window.
NYCHA’s E-Rent Program provides many convenient options to ensure your rent payment is always on time.
- Residents: If you currently receive your monthly rent statement by mail, NYCHA will continue to mail it to you. If you enroll in E-Bill, you will not receive a paper bill, but will be able to view your statement online.
- Commercial Customers: You will no longer receive paper statements, you must sign on the E-Bill to enroll and view your rent bill. E-Bill is safe, secure, and reduces paper.
- NYCHA will automatically transfer your information to the new payment processing service. If you currently receive your rent statement online or if you have a recurring payment set up, your information was transferred to the new system. You will receive an email letting you know your information has been moved over to the new system with a temporary password. Please sign on and create a new password and review the transferred information for accuracy.
- Please note that any payments you make at this point to the old system will be automatically transferred to the new payment processing service and credited to your account.
- You can save your information, view your payment history, make one-time payments (by choosing the ‘Make a One Time Payment’ feature), or set up recurring payments weekly, biweekly, or on a specific date. If you are enrolled in E-Bill and would like to pay rent by phone, the process will be faster since the online and phone systems will now be linked.
- You can store multiple payment methods in your account, allowing you to pay your rent from multiple sources – for example, part from checking, part from savings, and part on a debit/credit card. More information about rent payment upgrades is coming shortly. If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact your property management office.
2. Through Your Bank’s Online System:
Pay your rent using your bank’s online banking system or online bill payer. You can add NYCHA as a payee and make payments directly from your bank account.
If you still prefer to pay by mail, please ensure you are mailing your rent EARLY to allow three to five business days for delivery and processing. When you receive your monthly rent statement each month, just tear off the remittance slip and place it in the enclosed envelope with your check or money order made out to “New York City Housing Authority.”
The remittance slip already has the payment address. Please write your NYCHA account number on the front of your check or money order, and remember to put a stamp on the envelope. Please do not mail cash to NYCHA.
NEW Mailing Address:
New York City Housing Authority
PO Box 70169
Philadelphia, PA 19176-0169
FOR NYCHA RESIDENTS ONLY
4. By Phone (please note the new phone number):
You can pay your rent by calling NYCHA’s Phone Payment System at 1-877-481-9947 . Payments made before 5:00 PM EST will be credited the same day.
Payments made after 5:00 PM EST will be credited the next business day. Payments made on weekends and federal holidays, when banks are closed, will be credited on the next business day. Please allow 3 to 5 business days for your bank account to reflect the payment.
There is NO fee for customers paying by E-Check. There is a convenience fee of .85% of the payment amount when paying with Visa/MasterCard debit cards. There is a convenience fee of 2.25% of the payment amount when paying with Visa/MasterCard credit cards. The fee is charged by our third-party vendor and no portion of that fee is paid to NYCHA.
5. Via Payroll Deductions:
NYCHA and other City employees can participate in NYCHA’s automated payroll rent deduction program. Half of the monthly rent amount will be deducted from the first two paychecks of every month. Deductions can be higher than half of the monthly rent because deductions are half of the outstanding balance, not just the rent. If no deductions are being taken out, the development did not enter the employee into the system or his or her agency is not part of the program. To terminate payroll deductions, a termination form must be completed and submitted to your property management office. To sign up, please click this link: NYCHA Self-Service Login/Register.
6. Via an Authorized Bank or Credit Union:
Residents can make monthly rent payments at one of the bank branches listed below for a fee. If your bank is listed below, click to view more details.